Friday, February 4, 2011

Week 3- 3 Adults, 6 Babies, and Me

This week I did something similar to what I did the first week. I volunteered at my church, only this time in the nursery.  The nursery is only for newborn to 2 years. Once they turn two they have to go to the nursery because it can be really hard to deal with boisterous two year olds along with newborn babies.  This week we had a full house. Six babies! All under a year (except for one). Lucky for Gwen (who was running the nursery that week) and me, they were all really well behaved. I was surprised; there was no crying for more than about a minute. One little girl cried, but that’s to be expected from someone who’s only about three months old. Another little girl cried because she decided to flop over in her dad’s arms and hit her head on the chair, she was fine though, just scared her. Lucky for us, one of the fathers stayed and held his daughter the whole time because he could see we had a full house… or room. Partway trough, Katie, a lady from our church, came in and held some babies because she saw how many babies there were.

Winter riding a toy bike

                Of the six babies, I already knew 5 of them and had worked with them before.  One of them was Winter. Winter is the sweetest little girl ever! She’s 9 months old and Gwen’s daughter. I have known Winter since before she was born. Gwen is one of the leaders in our youth group and is a really good friend to all the girls. When we found out she was having a baby we were so excited. We have endless nicknames for her and all absolutely adore her. One of my favorite things to do in the nursery is help Winter walk around. She isn’t quite walking yet, but if you hold her hands and help support her she takes tiny little steps. I also love holding the babies, and just taking care of them. I can't wait until I get to help out again.

No comments:

Post a Comment