Sunday, March 6, 2011

Week 7- A Gift for Nchimunya

  
http://www.sowersinternationalaust.com
/assets/images/Africa_map_Zambia.JPG
This week I got to do something that I have been meaning to do for a long time now, but always seemed to get put off. I got to send a letter and a package to my family's sponsor child in Zambia. For those of you who don’t know where Zambia is, it is located in the southern part of Africa. Our sponsor child’s name is Nchimunya Mauzya. She will be 11 in a little over two weeks.
The rules for sending gifts are, no food/ candy, no jewelry, no expensive looking toys, and it must fit in a 6 in. by 9 in. envelope. So we went to the store to find her something. The first thing that caught my eye was a pink notebook with a big flower on it. Then we found some stickers. After that we went to another store and I found some colored pencils and a jump rope. Lucky for us we had my mom’s creative packing skills to help us out, and we were able to fit everything in. The final thing that went in the envelope was a letter from my family. 

Nchimunya

We’re hoping our gift will get to her just in time for her birthday. I really want to send more gifts to Nchimunya in the future, like a craft to do, or a matching bracelet.  She has definitely blessed my family’s lives by teaching us about giving, and opening our eyes to the problems that go on outside the United States. I love the pictures she sends us, and I sincerely hope she will love the pictures we send her. I know I’ll probably never meet Nchimunya, but maybe this will be the start of a long distance friendship.

       




No comments:

Post a Comment